In celebration of Canada’s 150th birthday, tree plantings are taking place across the Burlington in city parks in each of the six wards. In Ward 2, the event takes place on May 27 and you’re invited to join me as we plant 400 saplings.
Ward 2 Event Details:
Date: Saturday, May 27, 2017
Time: 10:30 a.m.
Location: Thorpe Park (1140 Stephenson Dr., Burlington)
This event is great for the entire family. No experience is needed and the saplings are in one gallon pots so they can easily be carried to planting spots. Our city arborists and planting experts will be on hand to show you what to do.
The event will also include a Q & A with the City’s arborists, along with stewardship and education about our urban forests.
No pre-registration is required but we do ask that you register when you arrive at the event.
What to wear/bring:
- Check the weather and dress for the conditions. We will be outside and will plant rain or shine.
- Wear sturdy footwear – no sandles or flip flops please.
- Please bring your own work/gardening gloves.
- Bring your own snacks and beverages, and lots of water, especially if it’s hot
- Bring your own shovel, if possible.
- Consider going green to the planting, in other words, walk, bike, carpool or use public transit.
- Bring your volunteer hour form if you’re a high school student looking for volunteer hours.
Additional tree plantings are taking place in each of the other wards beginning at 10:30 a.m. on the following dates:
April 22 – Ward 5 at Sherwood Forest Park, 5270 Fairview St.
April 29 – Ward 1 at Kerns Park, 1801 Kerns Rd.
May 6 – Ward 4 at Paletta Lakefront Park, 4280 Lakeshore Rd.
May 13 – Ward 6 at Ireland Park, 2315 Headon Forest Dr.
June 3 – Ward 3 at Brant Hills Park, 2300 Duncaster Dr.
For more details, visit https://www.burlington.ca/en/services-for-you/forestry-operations.asp.